Website Violence Free Colorado
Job Description: Finance and Operations Director
Currently reports to: Board of Directors
Classification: Full‐time, Exempt
Compensation: $65,000-$70,000 starting salary (DOE), plus competitive benefits (medical, vision, dental, retirement contribution, paid vacation, wellness, holiday, bereavement, etc.)
Advancing the well‐being of all Coloradans through relationships free from abuse and oppression. That is Violence Free Colorado’s mission and it truly describes our work. We are committed to building an inclusive and equitable social justice organization with leadership and development opportunities for all.
We are seeking a strategic thought-partner to serve on Violence Free Colorado’s leadership team. The Finance and Operations Director will provide leadership and expertise in the areas of finance and grant management and work collaboratively with all staff to further Violence Free Colorado’s mission. The Finance and Operations Director will partner with the Board of Directors and Associate Director to create and enact a financial plan and policies that allow staff to work successfully in line with our stated vision.
To be successful in this position, you must be flexible, collaborative, and creative. We are seeking someone who is excited about stepping into a dynamic team at a moment of change and transition. In keeping with our organizational core values, you will engage your work in trauma-informed, culturally responsive ways that center accessibility, equity, and inclusion. Previous experience working in advocacy, social justice, and/or anti-violence work is highly desired.
- In collaboration with all staff, prepare quarterly, semi-annual, and annual progress reports for grants.
- In collaboration with all staff, manage the organization’s strategic financial initiatives, projects, and goals.
- Work with the staff and the Board of Directors to create a financial vision that includes long-term strategies to identify new sources of funding and create new fiscal partnerships that support organizational values.
- Work with staff on grant selection, application, implementation, and tracking.
- Serve as point person for general office management including, but not limited to, supply vendors, IT, website, space rental, also responsible for managing agreements, licenses, and subscriptions.
- Serve as a point person for funders, building strong and reciprocal relationships.
- All Violence Free Colorado staff are expected to participate in ongoing agency vision work, including creating our organizational theory of change. This position is not solely responsible for this work but will be expected to contribute and collaborate with all staff on this.
- Pay invoices by verifying approval and transaction information.
- Prepare and submit invoices.
- Manage grant audits and other grant contract requirements.
- Develop systems to ensure fiscal accountability to funders and board.
- Prepare and analyze financial reports accurately and on time, including monthly and annual financial statements.
- Oversee annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Associate Director and Board.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process. Serve as a liaison with external auditors and funders.
- Maintain fiscal policies and procedures and oversee and monitor internal controls.
- Manage the financial aspects of grants and contracts, including monitoring grant spend-down, preparing financial reports, maintaining restricted funding schedules, and ensuring fiscal compliance with funder requirements.
- Provide fiscal leadership for grant collaborative projects as needed; monitor subawards and subrecipient activity, perform desk audits etc.
- Oversee the correct administration of payroll and benefits, in collaboration with the Associate Director and accountant.
- Prepare and file government required employment reports (i.e. Worker’s Compensation, 5500 Form).
- BA, advanced degree OR equivalent work experience in nonprofit management, financial management, and/or business administration
- Strong commitment to social justice, anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and ending domestic violence
- Five years of experience in these or related fields:
- Knowledge of and experience in non-profit operations
- Bookkeeping skills and knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- Knowledge of audit requirements and audit preparation
- Excellent communication skills
- Both written and verbal
- Maintain ethical communication, that is both clear and kind
- Ability to communicate across knowledge bases and with a variety of stakeholders including staff, survivors, membership, donors, and community members
- Additional skills/qualities
- Must meet strictly defined timeframes and deadlines
- Able to manage numerous tasks efficiently and responsibly
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Computer savvy with the following software including Microsoft 365, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Quickbooks, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and preferred familiarity with government grant systems like Zoomgrants, CORE, and JustGrants.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills from a thoughtful, strengths-based approach
E.O.E. – Violence Free Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of this position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job‐related instructions and to perform any other job‐related duties requested by a person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements to the work of the Coalition and are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
To Apply, please submit the following with your name in the title:
- A cover letter summarizing your interest in and relevant experience for this position.
- Your resume.
- Contact information for three people who can provide professional recommendations.
Resume review begins immediately.
Email all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Application)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com