Website Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center
Program: Title IX Legal Services
Class: 1.0 FTE; Salaried; Exempt
The mission of the Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center is to elevate victims’ voices, champion victims’ rights, and transform the systems impacting them.
This Staff Attorney position at RMvlc is responsible for providing legal representation and legal assistance (legal assistance and technical assistance) to victims in Title IX proceedings. This position also includes providing technical assistance to other services providers, such as school staff, advocates, attorneys, law enforcement, and prosecutors. In collaboration with other staff members, this position will prioritize the selection of cases and representation in Title IX matters in the state of Colorado.
RMvlc’s ideal candidate will share a passion for RMvlc’s mission, dedication to our Core Values, and will have a commitment to supporting victims of crime. We expect our team members to recognize that violence and oppression are inextricably linked, and that they are dedicated to grappling with the complexities of societal power and privilege in order to provide inclusive services. Candidates must recognize personal biases and address them, as well as communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals, groups, and organizations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provide direct representation to victims in educational settings relating to their rights under Title IX.
• Provide education and support to victims related to their rights as needed.
• Maintain necessary case files and documentation for clients.
• Participate in the collection and reporting of data regarding service provision.
• Conduct intakes and needs assessments with individuals seeking services as needed, as needed.
• Conduct trainings, both in-person and technology-assisted, on Title IX rights to legal and non-legal professionals.
• Participate and attend various collaboration meetings as assigned
• Assist in developing reports and recommendations for policy change related to Title IX in Colorado and federally.
• Conduct outreach to schools and community partners as needed.
• Other duties as requested.
Accountability: The Staff Attorney reports to the Legal Director.
Applicants do not need to possess all of the following qualifications. Research shows women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs where they do not meet all of the listed qualifications. If you don’t meet all of these qualifications but think you would be a good fit for the position, please apply.
• Juris doctorate and licensed to practice in the state of Colorado.
• Demonstrated understanding of the rights afforded to victims in education settings under Title IX.
• Demonstrated understanding of victim issues, victims’ rights within the state of Colorado, and in educational settings including higher education and K-12.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with strong attention to detail.
• Bilingual Spanish-speaking, strongly preferred.
• Strong conflict management skills.
• Experience working with victims of violent crime and demonstrated understanding of the impact of trauma.
• Demonstrated understanding of victim issues, victims’ rights within the state of Colorado, and a passion for RMvlc’s mission.
• Experience and commitment to working in collaboration and partnership with victim service providers and multidisciplinary teams.
• Experience with, and commitment to, grappling with the complexities of societal power and privilege in order to understand how multiple forms of oppression (racism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, etc.) intersect with RMvlc’s work.
• Demonstrated commitment and understanding to multiculturalism, diversity, and social justice issues.
• High degree of self-motivation.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Computer literacy including MS Office products: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
RMvlc values diverse life experience and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people with disabilities, and/or people who identify as LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply.
• For candidates with 0-3 years of relevant experience, the hiring range is $60,000-$65,000
• For candidates with 4-6 years of relevant experience, the hiring range is $65,000-$70,000
• For candidates with 7-10 years of relevant experience, the hiring range is $70,000-$75,000
• 100% employer paid health, vision, and dental insurance,
• Matching contribution to 401K Retirement after 1-year of service,
• Open vacation time policy,
• Sick time,
• Remote work options, and a
• Monthly cell phone use reimbursement.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and references via email to Executive Director, Emily Tofte Nestaval, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Staff Attorney”. Position will be open until filled. Applications received prior to June 24, 2022 will be given priority. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to lindsay@RMVictimLaw.org