BILINGUAL OUTREACH ADVOCATE
Safe Shelter provides safety, support and resources to individuals affected by domestic abuse. We promote empowerment through direct services and community education, advocating for the right of every individual to live a life free of intimidation, exploitation and abuse.
This position is accountable to and under the direct supervision of the Program Director. The Bilingual Outreach Advocate is responsible for provision of crisis intervention, client support, domestic violence education, and case management for monolingual Spanish speaking and English speaking Safe Shelter program participants.
Full-time, salaried, non-exempt
Provides domestic violence victim services to monolingual Spanish speaking as well as English speaking clients, connecting them to resources such as public benefits, transitional housing, and other resources to assist them in reaching selfsufficiency and stability; developing and sustaining relationships with partner organizations and community agencies; and providing comprehensive case management, support and advocacy.
This position is responsible for coordinating resources and providing advocacy/case management for clients in community-based transitional housing, Emergency Shelter, and Outreach programs.
- Providing screening, intake, crisis intervention, needs assessment, advocacy, ongoing individual counseling, referrals, and follow up services for monolingual Spanish speaking and English speaking adults.
- Meeting regularly with clients to develop their self-identified goals, make appropriate referrals, and provide overall support as they work to achieve their goals.
- Coordinating services with community partners to assist clients in accessing resources that increase their self-sufficiency and long term stability.
- Participating in screenings and providing advocacy for clients seeking housing through the Inn Between, Housing Stabilization Program, and Tenant Based Rental Assistance, developing a service plan with each transitional housing client.
- Attending staffing on client progress; exchanging information with other staff, programs, and/or collateral agencies within confidentiality guidelines.
- Updating and maintaining housing resource and referral guides.
- Providing court advocacy for monolingual Spanish-speaking clients including assisting with protection orders.
- Maintaining thorough, accurate records of case management activities, including conducting and documenting periodic home visits.
- Providing 24/7 Spanish Crisis line support on a rotational basis.
- Helping to maintain a safe and secure environment for all clients.
- Submitting statistical data in an accurate and timely manner.
- Providing public speaking/education to the community at large as needed.
- Assisting in the training of new staff, volunteers, and interns, as requested.
- Assisting in creating and achieving organizational funding goals and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of physical, psychological, and sociological issues involved in domestic violence.
- Thorough understanding of Latin@ culture and issues related to Latin@ community members and domestic violence.
- Clear understanding of the intersection of oppressions.
- Ability to fluently speak, understand, read, and write Spanish and English.
- Understanding of principles, practices, and objectives as related to client-directed case management.
- Experience in working with people of diverse social and professional backgrounds.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Safe Shelter staff, representatives of other organizations, and members of the community-at-large.
- Ability to use discretion and independent judgment with limited supervision.
- Competence in Windows-based operating systems, Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), email and the Internet
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver’s License and proof of insurance.
B.A. degree in counseling or related field and a minimum of two years’ work experience in human service delivery programs, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com