Senior Staff Attorney
Website Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center
Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center (RMvlc) elevates victims’ voices, champions victims’ rights, and transforms the systems impacting them.
RMvlc is seeking an experienced Senior Staff Attorney who will be responsible for the legal representation of victims of crime in criminal cases, as well as providing training and technical assistance to attorneys, victims, law enforcement, and victim service providers. The Senior Staff Attorney will work to raise awareness about crime victims’ rights, and victim standing in criminal cases. This position will also help prioritize the selection of cases, motions, and litigation of Victims’ Rights Act (VRA) matters that are on appeal or at a federal level.
Our ideal candidate will share a passion for RMvlc’s mission, dedication to our Core Values, and will have a commitment to supporting victims of crime. We expect our team members to recognize that violence and oppression are inextricably linked, and are dedicated to grappling with the complexities of societal power and privilege in order to provide inclusive services. Candidates must recognize personal biases and address them, as well as communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals, groups, and organizations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide pro bono direct representation to victims related to their rights under the Colorado VRA and Federal CVRA.
· Represent crime victims at the county, district, and appellate levels to enforce crime victims’ rights in Colorado
· Conduct trainings, both in-person and technology-assisted, on crime victims’ rights to legal and non-legal professionals.
· Conduct intakes and needs assessments with individuals seeking services as needed.
· Participate and attend various collaboration meetings as assigned.
· Participate in the collection and reporting of data regarding service provision.
· Provide education and support to victims related to their rights as needed.
· Provide technical assistance to attorneys, service providers, prosecutors, and law enforcement regarding VRA and other legal issues crime victims navigate as a result of victimization.
· Other duties as requested.
The Senior Staff Attorney reports to the Legal Director.
· Juris doctorate plus 7-10 years of related experience and licensed to practice in the state of Colorado, with experience working on appeals.
· Demonstrated understanding of both federal and state Victims’ Rights Acts.
· Criminal justice experience (prosecution or defense), strongly preferred.
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with strong attention to detail.
· Bilingual Spanish-speaking, preferred.
· Strong conflict management skills.
· Experience working with victims of violent crime and demonstrated understanding of the impact of trauma.
· Experience with and knowledge of Colorado appellate procedures, preferred.
· Demonstrated understanding of victim issues, victims’ rights within the state of Colorado, and a passion for RMvlc’s mission.
· Experience working in collaboration and partnership with other victim service providers and multidisciplinary teams.
· Experience with, and commitment to, grappling with the complexities of societal power and privilege in order to understand how multiple forms of oppression (racism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, etc.) intersect with RMvlc’s work.
· Demonstrated commitment and understanding to multiculturalism, diversity, and social justice issues.
· Computer literacy including MS Office products: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
RMvlc values diverse life experience and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people with disabilities, and/or people who identify as LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Emily Tofte Nestaval, Executive Director via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Application materials will be reviewed as they are received. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, however applications received prior to July 3, 2020 will be given priority.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com