Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center is a Colorado nonprofit organization providing free legal assistance to victims of violent crime to help enforce their rights under the Victims’ Rights Act.
Class: Full-time; Salaried
Exempt Salary: Commensurate with experience
General Description: The mission of the Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center is to transform the criminal justice system to consistently honor the voice of every victim and vigorously safeguard victims’ rights. The Staff Attorney is responsible for the legal representation and legal technical assistance for victims, law enforcement, and service providers. In collaboration with the Legal Director, Client Services Director, and Executive Director this position will prioritize the selection of cases, motions, and litigation of Victims’ Rights Act (VRA) matters that require attention in the state of Colorado.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct trainings regarding VRA issues to partners across the state of Colorado.
- Provide direct representation to individual clients as needed.
- Maintain necessary case files and documentation for clients.
- With the Client Services Director, work with clients to determine and meet their needs to enforce their VRA rights.
- Conduct intakes and needs assessments with individuals seeking services.
- Provide technical assistance to service providers, District Attorneys, and law enforcement regarding VRA issues.
- Participate and attend various collaboration meetings.
- Participate in the collection and reporting of data regarding service provision.
- Participate in fundraising activities as needed.
- Other duties as requested.
Accountability: The Staff Attorney reports to the Legal Director.
- Juris doctorate plus 2-5 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of both federal and state Victims’ Rights Acts.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Experience working with victims of violent crime and demonstrated understanding of the impact of trauma.
- Demonstrated understanding of victim issues, victims’ rights within the state of Colorado, and a passion for RMvlc’s mission.
- Experience working in collaboration and partnership with other victim service providers and multidisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding to multiculturalism, diversity, and social justice issues.
- High degree of energy, self-motivation, and flexibility.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bilingual Spanish-speaking, preferred.
- Computer literacy including MS Office products: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary history by email to Emily Tofte Nestaval at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include, “Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. Applications received by June 6, 2016 will be given priority.
No phone calls please.